Umbrella Agency: John D. Spreckels Center & Bowling Green
Program Name: Coronado Seniors Out & About
Transportation for clients only
Advance Reservations Required:
Coronado Seniors Out & About is a volunteer driver program that provides scheduled rides for a nominal fee ($1 – $4 depending on the distance traveled) to residents 60+. The rides are provided to medical/health related offices, grocery stores, banks, events, activity centers, barber/beauty shops and more. Rides are provided both locally and into the San Diego region, up to 25 miles.
• Rider must be 60 years or older
• Reside in Coronado and have limited or no transportation
• Must be able to walk on their own, or with a walker or cane, OR
• If rider needs assistance with transfers to and from a wheelchair, they must enroll a caregiver in the program.
• The City of Coronado reserves the right to determine rider eligibility
Volunteer Driver Qualifications:
• A genuine desire to assist those with limited or no transportation
• Must have a safe, reliable personal vehicle, with working seat belts to transport Riders
• Have a current Driver’s License that has been valid for at least 5 years
• Be willing to have a DMV record review
• Provide proof of insurance on the personal vehicle being used to transport Riders. Drivers must carry the minimum liability insurance required by the State of California.
Current state limits are:
$15,000 for injury/death to one person
$30,000 for injury/death to more than one person
$5000 for damage to property
(It is recommended that all Drivers maintain liability insurance at the $100,000/$300,000 level on the vehicle they will use to transport Riders)